Thursday, February 9, 2012

reading what ever I want now!

I won this book on a book blog site, three guys one book, featuring Jon Evison from BI. I went to school with him. http://threeguysonebook.com
the book is The Sisters Brothers by Patrick DeWitt.  It was a good book, about two brothers who are contract killers back in the wild west.

Just as I was about done with it, Prashant handed me a flash drive. On it was Shantaram,  Gregory David Roberts. It was 1200 pages! Thankfully it was really good. It is the story of a man who breaks out of jail in New Zealand and flees to Bombay to start a new life.  Fascinating tale that takes him to the slums, to remote villages and even to the Afghanistan war (against Russia at that time).  He captures Bombay (Mumbai now) very well. I felt like I know Mumbai and its people.   Prashant and I discussed it a few times, I felt that the main character is a big wuss really, he is in love with a woman who doesn't love him back, yet his quest for his love never stops. He meets a man who becomes like a father to him and teaches him philosophy, he is such a soft character, a man really in touch with his emotions. Prashant seees him as a tough soldier!  funny how we both have differing views on the main character. He is very complex.

Now I am finally reading Evison. I got his first one "All About Lulu" from the library. I really enjoy his style. In the beginning when he meets Lulu, he describes her a Mr Potato. All the parts are weird, but they come together to make something beautiful.  It is a coming of age story set in the 80s, when we were coming of age! But, its purely fictional as far as I can tell. The only real reference I have found is his high school counselor, Larry Pitts. He was real.  I am a little over half way, when I am done, I will post a follow up.

No comments:

Post a Comment